We love fun. And pizza. And being able to afford our ultimate season. Which is why hosting a fundraiser at Tomato Jake’s Just. Makes. Sense.
Join us next TUESDAY NIGHT anytime between 5-9pm for a slice! Phoenix gets 20% of the proceeds and YOU get a night off cooking. It’s a win-win. Want some sweet PHX gear? We’ll have it on site to purchase (cash only please).
THE DETAILS ONE MORE TIME:
Who: You, you crazy bird lover
When: Tuesday June 21st, 5-9pm
Where: Tomato Jake’s at Southpoint, 8202 Renaissance Pkwy #101
What: Buy pizza & gear, hang out with Phoenixes
Another year, another class of rookies. Having read our 2016 roster announcement, you may be wondering, “What wisdom are the returning players bestowing on the Phoenix rookies?” It’s a well-guarded secret up until now, but just this once, we’ll let you in on some of the information that first year Phoenix players become privy to upon joining our brood.
- The venerable Google Doc. No Phoenix can undertake a season without careful logging in Google Docs several times a week. Legend has it that before this tool came to be, Phoenixes would report absences, workout schedules, and cat jokes via a sacred
wierwood phone tree. Now Phoenixes bow down to the power of the Google Doc for organizing carpools and Game of Thrones watch parties.
- Never leave home without checking GroupMe. If there is a way to run an ultimate team without a constant stream of cat memes and phuntivities, Phoenix has not yet learned how to do it. More than one Phoenix has upgraded to a smarter mobile device for the sole purpose of better communication with the Phoenix social calendar, a move both thrilling and terrifying for those not prepared for high levels of awesome.
- The VC Cult. How proud are we of being a VC Sponsored team? So proud we’ve written blogs about it. So proud our dogs wear it. So freaking proud we’re basically a cult of VC-wearing, VC-loving, shouting-from-the-rooftops-that-this-company-is-the-best-ever hooligans.
- Cats. Some birds are afraid of cats. The Phoenix, as mythology tells us, is the only bird to befriend the feline and to earn its elusive respect and adoration. Don’t believe us? That’s fine. We’ll just get back to playing Neko Atsume and taking pictures of our cats…
- Phlove. Some teams love each other. That’s just fine and dandy but on Phoenix, we take love to the next level. Phlove is bringing Diet Coke to practice for teammates. It’s massaging a teammate’s sore muscles, no matter how sweaty. It’s devouring ice cream, Jimmy Johns, and donuts together post-practice with no judgement. It’s also listening to your teammate trying to get you to eat your vegetables instead of donuts post-practice, and arguing that lettuce on your sandwich counts. It’s silly, it’s thoughtful, it’s practical, and it’s always there when you need it most.
Keep checking the blog for more insightful updates on the PHX16 season!
This week we pack up the cars and hit the road to West Chester, OH! There we will face off against some of the nation’s top reigning women’s teams in USA Ultimate’s annual US Open tournament.
We start the tourney with a Thursday morning game against San Francisco Nightlock, who has continued to gain ground against some of the long-standing top ranked teams each of the past 3 years. We then play a 1:30pm live-streamed* game against Southeast Regional champion, Atlanta Ozone, followed by a match-up against San Francisco Fury, one of the country’s most-storied programs of the past decade. All three teams finished in the Pro-Flight in 2014, and we couldn’t be more excited to test our skills and chemistry against them.
Coming off a home tournament win at Cackalacky Challenge a few weeks back, we are feeling confident and excited for the season! In preparation for the Open, we have been brushing up on our primary colors and studying passages from Animal Farm during team huddles. Watch out for Red Pigs!! We showcased our VC Whites at Cackalacky and will be proud to sport our new VC Darks this week!
In addition to the friz tournament, Cassie Swafford hopes to get as many steps in as possible this weekend to maintain a stronghold at the top of the team Phitbit challenge. Ladies & Gentlemen, place your bets – under / over 40,000 steps?
*For full information on broadcast games at the US Open look here: http://www.usaultimate.org/news/usa-ultimate-announces-17-game-broadcast-schedule-for-us-open/
It was our distinct pleasure to host some of our favorite regional rivals this past weekend at Cackalacky Challenge. Fellow North Carolina teams Rogue, Rut-Ro (an iteration of Ripe/Retro/Sweet T), and Warhawks (a YCC team!!) made the drive out to Fuquay-Varina, just south of Raleigh. Virginia, Maryland and DC were all well-represented, and both Ozone and Tabby Rosa made the trip up north to kick off their seasons.
Day one saw its share of battles. Both pools had games go down to the wire. In pool B, Outbreak and Tabby Rosa went to DGP, to have Outbreak punch it in for the win, ultimately taking 2nd in the pool behind Rut-Ro. Over in pool A, a story of classic regional rivals began again in the 2015 season as Ozone and Phoenix traded the lead in the first half. After Ozone took half 7-5, Phoenix decisively pulled away for the win and to take first in the pool.
The story of the weekend was undoubtedly the heat. Dry fields only amplified the scorching temps as teams employed any means to create shade and grabbed cool towels to avoid heat stroke. Thankfully everyone made it out of the weekend without any lasting damage.
On Sunday, temperatures stayed high as Ozone and Phoenix fought through quarters and semis to meet once again in the finals game. After an early lead by Phoenix, Ozone came back with a vengeance to take half. Both teams traded long points in the second half until Phoenix scored a 2-point run to make it DGP. After an Ozone turnover, Phoenix worked it back down to the Atlanta end zone to score and keep the Cackalacky Challenge Championship in NC.
Phoenix would like to thank everyone again for coming and playing through the heat with us! We can’t wait to see you all again throughout the 2015 season!
ps- Don’t we look awesome in our brand-new whites from VC Ultimate!?!